Monday, November 1, 2010

Piggies

I have no desire to own pigs. Pork is great - I'm all for it - but pigs seem like a ton of work.

Yesterday, however, I was cleaning out our fridge and it made me think of pigs.

Cleaning out the fridge is a depressing task because I am confronted with the large amount of food that we waste. Some of it is just little bits and noshes: the last dregs of mac and cheese that Will always seems to squirrel away back there; a few bites of a sandwich; half an apple that I intended to serve for dinner and then forgot about. Some of it, however, is large: a container of yogurt I forgot, half a pizza that never made it to the table as leftovers, a bag of shredded cabbage that should have become pad thai.

The cabbage and the apples will make their way to our compost pile. They will at least have a second life as nutrients in our garden, feeding the next generation of veggies that will wilt and decay in our fridge.

The pizza, yogurt, and mac and cheese just end up in our garbage. A complete and utter loss.

As I throw these foods away, they remind me of the money we spent (and the time spent earning that money) in order to purchase them; of the time, labor and energy that went into growing them; and of the resources that went into packaging them and delivering them from the field and factory to the grocery store.

If I don't ponder it deeply, the action of throwing away food - taking a piece of Tupperware out of my fridge, peaking timidly inside, wrinkling my nose at the smell of moldy chili or old eggs, and then dumping it in the trashcan - doesn't seem like much more than an unpleasant chore. But when I think of the resources that went into what I have just thrown away... it saddens me.

One answer to this problem is to do a better job of meal planning and eating leftovers. I try. I really do. And if you guys have suggestions on how to make that happen, I'm all ears. Because I suck at it. Somehow, planning meals just results in the production of more formal, well-planned meals, which in turn results in more partial, leftover meal fragments in sadly rotting in their cold Tupperware coffins at the end of the month.

What? Yes. Of course I clean out my fridge monthly. Don't you?

Rick tells me that his mom used to take all the leftovers they produced, whatever they were, and put them in their freezer in a big container. Then, once the container was full, she would take the whole thing and dump it into the crockpot and cook it into a meal that she called "FreezerPot," a meal that reflects her vast and wise sense of thrift.

I believe that this meal worked for them in large part because my mother-in-law's (very fine) cooking tends towards mostly foods of a similar style, so that FreezerPot probably would have contained some veggies, some spaghetti, some ground beef, and maybe a little rice. Things that don't clash when combined.

FreezerPot in my house would likely end up being some unholy combination of enchiladas, pad thai, hummus, tortellini, potato soup, yogurt, and a chunk of bleu cheese. I don't think I could convince myself to eat it, let alone the kids. Dire threats would be involved. It would be the thing that my children would use to underscore the unpleasantness of their childhoods. For them there would be no stories about how hard life was when they had to walk uphill both ways to school. Instead, they would talk about the scars created by being forced to eat barftastic, pan-ethnic FreezerPot.

You know who would probably dig barftastic, pan-ethnic FreezerPot? A pig. A pig would be all over that action.

When I was in elementary school, the cafeteria had two large garbage cans. One was for containers and paper bags: the general trash stuff. The other was for slops. Looking in the slops can always, for me, produced a dire sense of nausea that I am sure is familiar to anyone who has a suggestible stomach. It looked barftastic. But it was all technically edible. I don't know who said it or how this information to me, but I remember at some point being told that these slops were, "for the pigs."

Now, I'm not going to dwell too deeply on the fact that there were probably very few pigs in North Dallas by the time I was in elementary school. When I was younger there were farms within a few miles of us just north of LBJ. My Montessori preschool was nestled amongst them until they were razed to make way for the Galleria shopping mall. After that, it seems like getting slops to the nearest pig would be something of a commute. So I don't know how far these fine food items might have had to travel before they were united with swine who could appreciate them. But the intention was there. And it made sense. Even as a Kindergartener, I could see that one meal at a small elementary school cafeteria could produce of an awful lot of food waste.

Pigs, like us, are omnivores. And I am led to believe that they aren't very discriminating about what they get all omnivorous with. Giving food that has passed beyond my tolerance for consumption to a pig recycles the wasted calories of spoiled yogurt into the potential calories of bacon. (Mmmmm bacon). Which makes way more sense than just throwing those calories in a trash bag and taking them to the dump to be forever entombed in a landfill.

Of course, in order to make use of this fantastic calorie-recycling program, there needs to be a pig somewhere. Which brings me back to my initial reluctance to personally take on the responsibility of a pig. They are big and they have needs. I've already got two small people and a cat with needs that I don't seem to be able to meet on a day-to-day basis. I don't need to add a pig to this mix.

Therefore, this is not a post that is going to come to a simple conclusion.

At present, I am left with a general notion that there is more to explore on this topic. As much as it seems like our family wastes a lot of food, it isn't enough to actually feed a pig. So maybe I need to find more families that want to band together to slop and care for a pig. Because who wouldn't want that, right? It's the perfect project of community responsibility and reward. Pass on your food scraps, clean out the pen once or twice a month and, at the end of the year, we can have a luau!

Or not.

It is almost certainly the case that I would be better off entirely by finding someone who is already raising pigs and providing my food waste to them, excising the guilt without the responsibility.

Which sort of sums up the American style of penance, doesn't it? There's a post topic for another day.

While driving in the car with my family yesterday, I asked Rick if he had ever had a slop bucket at his elementary schools. After all, he grew up in Kansas, Colorado, and Georgia. Surely they would have had just as much of a shot of having pigs that needed slopping as we did in Dallas. Right? He just looked at me like I was crazy.

But L piped up from the back seat. She knew exactly what I was talking about: they have a slop bucket at her current elementary school. And, in truth, I would be astounded to learn that there isn't more than one pig currently living somewhere in our town. This place isn't North Dallas.

So maybe the answer to my issues about waste (beyond reduction - which I still need to figure out) is to find out if there is someone, or "Some Pig" in our neighborhood who would be delighted with the occasional gift of FreezerPot.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm still laughing about FreezerPot- yikes!!
    We put EVERYTHING in our compost- meat, dairy, veggies, you name it. We just have a big fenced in pile out in the woods, it does break down pretty well, some of it just takes longer than the rest. But it's not like it's going anywhere...
    Boy- can you tell it's my day off- I'm just a commenting machine today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i typed a response which i couldn't get to post...i'll try again....

    one of the things i love most about Oly is the city sponsored slop bucket they provide each family. they call it something fancier like a compost collection bin, but it's basically the same thing. and while our house came with a compost bin, i've chosen the easy way..using the city slop bucket. and it's huge, the same size as our recycling bin (which subsequently is twice the size as our trash bin - maybe they are on to something here). i addition to all food scraps, including meat (which i always thought was a no-no), you can put yard waste (leaves, grass, etc), paper napkins/towels and pizza boxes in it. it's awesome. and while "some pig" isn't enjoying my scraps, i know Mother Earth is and i'm ok with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm boggled by the notion that its okay to put things other than veggies in the compost. Really? We can do that? The compost cops won't issue a citation? It won't interfere with the quality of my dirt?

    I mean, I'm the sort of girl that doesn't even follow the dictate that I should separate out my colors and whites on laundry day, and I separate out food that goes into my compost.

    Katy, doesn't all that extra food attract bears? I've been having an ongoing conversation with my fellow inhabitants at this address about bees, and Karl K. pointed out that he and Mary Holland had trouble with the bears coming for that. Or even the bird suet, which she talked about at church. So I had assumed bears would be all over my leftover pizza. You haven't had that kind of a problem?

    How can my kids not eat pizza???

    Lara, the fact that one of the things you love most about Oly is the slop bucket is the sort of thing that needs to be emblazoned on a bumper sticker or something.

    It makes so much sense to take that sort of thing out of the waste stream, though. There is so much stuff that doesn't need to go in a trash bag. Although, I suppose in places with sewer systems instead of septic systems, a lot of that goes down the drain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and thanks for commenting, guys. It's nice to know that I'm not just shouting into an empty room.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey-
    So, yes if you wanted to use your compost the next year for your garden I wouldn't necessarily put everything in it. It takes a lot longer to break down. But we're in no hurry.
    As for the bears, yes it probably would attract them, but I'm not sure how much more than just the veggies... Ours doesn't seem to, but it's also a ways out in the woods, so I don't know that we'd notice- although the fence is always intact, so I don't think they've tried.
    We have a friend that says if some animals get in and eat stuff, and then they poop it out, that's just more compost in the world... Probably not really great for the animals if they're eating a steak, pizza and a half a pie or something however.
    At $4 a bag for trash now, it's a big plus to just compost as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. $4 a bag is why I covet my neighbor's trash compactor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coming late to this - but you know chickens eat all that good leftover stuff. They can't deal with a ton of leftovers. I do toss out the table scraps to them each morning and they are quite pleased to have at it. A pig would be a larger, smellier, undertaking - and without the benefit of laying eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Anneke! I think we are going to try to do three or four chickens as well as the ducks, but I haven't cleared it with the landlady yet.

    I also want to figure out a way to be more efficient in my cooking, so that there is less waste. I have to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete