Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Education and Community

I said it in Boxing Day, and I'll start again with it here. If there is one notion that underpins my self-sufficiency project, it is this:

There's an awful lot of important and useful stuff I didn't learn when I was growing up.

In writing that, I was thinking about the fact that my education - an excellent one - focused on advanced academics at the expense of practical knowledge. I never took a class in which I was asked to build anything, or plumb anything, or sew anything, or change my oil, or cook anything, or learn how to organize my finances. All of which are skills that people in our culture will require at some point or other. I believe that the rationale was that, as a college-bound, future white-collar worker, I would be paying other people to do those things for me.

Now, a couple of decades out of high school, I see that focusing on academics at the expense of other lessons hasn't been in my best interest. And I'm setting out to fill in those holes.

This post isn't about me, however. It is about the next generation, and it starts with this truth:

Focusing on academics at the expense of other realms of knowledge does not produce well-rounded adults.
..........

Here is another truth: Money is tight.
..........

Last night there was a school board meeting at our local school (which provides education for kids from Kindergarten through the eighth grade). The purpose was to start a discussion about which programs are targeted for "increased efficiency" so that our supervisory union (sort of a district) can cut 1.59% from its budget as (sort-of) required by Challenges for Change.

It's not quite required. It's apparently voluntary with the the not-so-gently implied subtext that, if we don't comply voluntarily, sterner measures will be taken.

Just like dinner time at our house.

In any event, Challenges for Change specifies that savings will be generated by making government more efficient, not by decreasing the services that are offered.

There are a lot of adjectives that I want to be able to apply to the education my children receive: excellent; well-rounded; challenging; enjoyable; useful.

I'm not so sure that "efficient" is one of them.

For me, "efficient" conjures up images of Big Macs and factory farming. Of a one-size-fits-all approach. Imagine how efficient our school system could be if all the children it served needed the exact same resources! If they being raised and taught so that they can step into roles as interchangeable cogs in a machine!

But they aren't.

They are kids. And they will grow up to be adults who need to be able to step into all the varied roles that our world requires.
..........

But, money is tight. So we need to use it more wisely. More efficiently.
..........

The principal - whose shoes I wouldn't want to be in right now - identified several programs that could be made more efficient without decreasing services. A feat that will be accomplished by eliminating some positions entirely, stretching the remaining staff tighter to cover the absolute necessities, and then eliminating what can't be covered.

Areas that will take the hit: nursing, health, and physical education (where p.e. teachers will pick up some of the health classes); guidance and therapy; music; and para-educators.

None of these programs will be eliminated entirely. There will still be music. There will still be a nurse. There will simply be fewer people to staff these programs.

Services will not be diminished.

Reduction without diminishing.

After they pull that off, I'll wait anxiously for them to pull a bunny out of a top hat.
..........

What is the goal of education?

Our most recent President Bush once observed, "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"

I disagree. I think that is all too often the only question that is being asked. Children take tests. And we see test results. And schools are rated accordingly.

We aren't just raising children to take tests, though. Or, at least, we shouldn't be. We should be raising kids to step into their roles as members of our future communities.

You know what communities need? Communities need to be healthy. They need music and theater, and drama projects that they work on as a group. They need therapy for individuals and families who are struggling with emotional issues which - left unaddressed - might boil up into larger problems. They need as many people around as possible to pitch in and help with one-on-one attention so that no one falls behind.

We shouldn't only ask if our children are learning. We should ask if they are being given the time, tools, and attention they need to become full members of the community in which we want to live.

Not just my children. Or your children. Not just the ones we love.

Every child.

Even if you don't agree with their parents. If you think their parents are shiftless and lazy and should just get a job. Each and every child in America today will be a part of the larger community in which you live tomorrow.

What kind of place do you want it to be?
..........

A woman said to me, regarding the cuts, something to the effect of, "I'm glad we home school. This won't impact us."

I disagree.

Unless you are planning to never let your children - or the adults they become - interact within an extended community beyond your home, or your private school, what happens in the public education system will impact them.

It will impact all of us.

We cannot pick and choose the individuals in our world whose choices and actions will be the ones that effect us the most. So, please, let's all choose to do the best job we can to make sure that every child has the support, and resources, and nurturing, and creative outlets, and therapy, and food that they need to become the community members that we want and need them to be.

Starving them of these things might be more efficient. It might be cheaper now. But the long-term costs, the externalized costs - as with factory farming or a world of processed Big Macs - will be greater in the end.
.........

But there's no money. Times are tight. Something has to be cut.

Under the plan presented last night, the children still have some music classes. There is still a nurse if someone throws up or gets hurt. Hopefully the children who need therapy will find some other programs and not fall through the cracks.

I hope they don't fall through the cracks.

We were reminded again and again that our district - our school - actually already had more of these things than are standard in our state. That we should be willing to do with less.

Maybe if the people who have to make these difficult decisions were reading this, they would toss the tough calls back to me. "You make the cuts. You find the 1.59% and get rid of it."

I don't know. I don't know what program I would cut from a school.

I don't have the answers. I'm not alleging that I do.

We don't know what program will inspire one child in our community to greatness. It could be academics. Or sports. Or the chance to sing a song in a musical.

We also don't know what absence will be the crack that leads to tragedy. The lack of available nursing care at a crucial moment. Or a teacher's aide who can take the extra time to work with a child who is falling behind. Or a therapist who is available to connect a child with the counseling that they need.

What is the possible toll of all that efficiency?
..........

Money is tight.


It is a reality for families. For our town. For our state. For our country.

I don't have the answers.

But I want to say this: Our public schools are the garden in which we grow the individuals who will sustain our future communities. Our future country.

To restrict what they need - to be efficient with their education - is to starve our future.

It isn't simply a question for our town - for our school board. We should ask our administrators to be as creative as possible, but we can't lay the onus of these cuts at their feet. Just as it is difficult - sometimes impossible - for individuals to behave in ways that differ from the dictates of our larger culture, it is hard for schools to operate outside the dictates of districts, states, and our federal government.

Rarely is the question asked: Are America's children learning the skills they need to become a community?

Maybe we should start asking that question.
..........

There's an awful lot of important and useful stuff I didn't learn when I was growing up.

I didn't learn to sew. But I'll be okay in the end.

What won't today's children learn? What happens if what they don't learn - what they don't receive from their education - impacts all of us?

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I have had similar thoughts over the years and with the birth of my own child, it is something that is more in the forefront of my mind.

    What I have been playing with my head is growing food and cooking. Facing my own diabetes and childhood as a fat kid as well as the carbon footprint of NOT eating locally grown foods makes teaching the next generation how to grow and eat healthy foods close to my heart. Kids are taught about the food pyramid (skewed by agridustry I think) but they are not taught what it takes to grow or cook food. ( Yes, I took home ec but it was an elective for one trimester in the seventh grade. It didn’t help me learn how to plan a healthy menu and cook it. Or why I shouldn’t go to the easy box dinners).

    I have fantasies of starting small with my daughter Kate's kindergarten class and having them plant small 4 by 4 plots and tending them until they are able to harvest and have a small banquet with their bounty. They would also help cook the meal. This would expand to having all grades involved- there are lots of ways to tie growing a garden and cooking to other subjects like math, science, reading, writing. By the time it expands to all grades, there would enough to give to the food bank.

    It could then expand to include people who didn’t get to learn this in school or growing up. It would be a community food and cooking program.

    I think about this everyday as I pass the high school greenhouse that is being used for furniture storage. What a waste, what a loss.

    So how could I make that happen?
    It all takes time.
    It takes Initiative.

    Doing anything outside the norm in schools is difficult. There are so many benchmarks teachers and administrators must meet, that dreaming like you and I do is a luxury for them or it is just NOT THE WAY IT IS DONE.

    We are asking them to rethink what is important in education, and how they think about learning.
    We don’t want well rounded kids. Classes that make students well rounded will always be thought of as bonus or extra. We want kids that are WHOLE, which means without the current “extra” classes the kid's education is not complete and therefore the kids and incomplete as well.

    Until the goal of education is more than the three Rs this will always be true. Until all subjects are integrated with the other – History that is integrated with literature, music, philosophy, science, cooking of the time period being studied, and we admit that we don’t live in world of unrelated subjects and ideas we will continue to have an educational high bar of the three Rs.

    And this not to say that all educators feel this way. But they have to work within the framework they are given. They can push boundaries here and there, but until education system in this country is broken down systematically and rebuilt, we are stuck with it. In fact it is the politicians that govern the system that need to be lobbied.

    So where does that leave us with our kids?
    Finding the time and initiative to make some changes and building a community that values that same sort of education enough to lend their time and initiative....
    Start small? I am hoping to do some of this in Kate's Daisy troop...
    I have thought of approaching the c0-op and gardening clubs to see if they are interested in the idea.

    It will take my time
    It will take my Initiative
    Luxuries I have little of? Sounds like the excuses we hear from educational institutions.

    I will curious to see what you do.
    I will curious to see what I do.

    Thanks for the post and the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I have had similar thoughts over the years and with the birth of my own child, it is something that is more in the forefront of my mind.

    What I have been playing with my head is growing food and cooking. Facing my own diabetes and childhood as a fat kid as well as the carbon footprint of NOT eating locally grown foods makes teaching the next generation how to grow and eat healthy foods close to my heart. Kids are taught about the food pyramid (skewed by agridustry I think) but they are not taught what it takes to grow or cook food. ( Yes, I took home ec but it was an elective for one trimester in the seventh grade. It didn’t help me learn how to plan a healthy menu and cook it. Or why I shouldn’t go to the easy box dinners).

    I have fantasies of starting small with my daughter Kate's kindergarten class and having them plant small 4 by 4 plots and tending them until they are able to harvest and have a small banquet with their bounty. They would also help cook the meal. This would expand to having all grades involved- there are lots of ways to tie growing a garden and cooking to other subjects like math, science, reading, writing. By the time it expands to all grades, there would enough to give to the food bank.

    It could then expand to include people who didn’t get to learn this in school or growing up. It would be a community food and cooking program.

    I think about this everyday as I pass the high school greenhouse that is being used for furniture storage. What a waste, what a loss.

    So how could I make that happen?
    It all takes time.
    It takes Initiative.

    Doing anything outside the norm in schools is difficult. There are so many benchmarks teachers and administrators must meet, that dreaming like you and I do is a luxury for them or it is just NOT THE WAY IT IS DONE.

    We are asking them to rethink what is important in education, and how they think about learning.
    We don’t want well rounded kids. Classes that make students well rounded will always be thought of as bonus or extra. We want kids that are WHOLE, which means without the current “extra” classes the kid's education is not complete and therefore the kids and incomplete as well.

    Until the goal of education is more than the three Rs this will always be true. Until all subjects are integrated with the other – History that is integrated with literature, music, philosophy, science, cooking of the time period being studied, and we admit that we don’t live in world of unrelated subjects and ideas we will continue to have an educational high bar of the three Rs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really great Laura- I agree that you should condense and send to the paper as an editorial.
    I thought of you today when an older woman whose husband is in the hospital due to a stroke told me that she was really stressed out because her son told her that her tires were bad and that her car was making a terrible noise. She had no idea what to do about any of it- she said "he's always done everything, I never learned how to do the car stuff or the checkbook, or any of it. Now what am I going to do?" Just really struck me with a lot of what you've been talking about lately- with her it was her generation that learned the homemaking tasks, but not anything mechanical or financial.
    Interesting...
    Keep blogging- I love reading all your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete